Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Dare Machine

No, I'm not talking about me. I just found out from NaNoWriMo's most recent pep talk that the Young Writer's Program has a Dare Machine on its website. Check it out for a bit of interesting fun. I've always found the Plot Machine on the Script Frenzy site to be particularly entertaining as well.

Before I get to today's dare, it has occurred to me through a friend that some of the acronyms I put on here may not be common knowledge. Trust me, after one NaNo, most of them will be very clear to anyone that gets involved in the forums. For those new, and those that haven't really looked at the NaNoWriMo site, here are some things to know:
IE=Inner Editor (that voice in our head that tells us to stop writing and make things better) We are supposed to ignore them for the month

MC= Main Character (MMC=male main character, fmc=female main character)

BP, DBP, TBP= bonus points, double bonus points, triple bonus points

cookies= the reward for putting in the most challenging aspect of a dare, one the poster thinks no one can really use (or they really want to see make it into someone's novel)

All the points are imaginary, of course. I (sadly) won't actually get cookies when I put the difficult dares in my novel. It does allow the poster to leave easier versions of a dare and ramp up to some pretty ridiculous stuff.

Feel free to ask in the comments if something I post isn't clear. Chances are, if it isn't clear to you, there are others that aren't understanding it either. By the way, you can check out the forums for some good laughs and to further see what this month is like for the writers attempting it. You just won't be able to comment unless you sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment