Wednesday, November 2, 2011

3863

That is the total word count so far.

A friend of mine asked me what my stumbling points were when writing. She's having a bit of trouble turning off that inner editor. For me, that's not as much of a problem. My real problem comes later when I need to turn it back on. I find this kind of rush to get it written and plan to fix it later very freeing. At first it was difficult for me, but knowing I don't need to get every sentence perfect liberates me to just get the idea down, which is essentially the point of the rough draft anyway. My extremely major stumbling point seems to be turning that inner editor back on again later to do revision, as I haven't done much of that yet.

For me, I have 2 major stumbling points when writing a rough draft: when I have no ideas, and when I have too many ideas. No ideas can be tough. I don't feel that it is necessary writer's block, just uncertainty. I don't know what is going to happen next, and am uncertain what I should do to make the story progress. In this case I tend to start describing things to keep the word count flowing. I'll spend extra time on the setting, or a random character that may not even be important. Usually something comes up while I am writing. A great professor of mine used to tell me to keep writing and something would come out of it. I am very grateful for that advice because I find it to be true so often.

The other problem is too many ideas. I get frustrated if I know a lot of things that I want to happen in a story, and can't seem to get to all of them fast enough. Some people hop around, creating plot holes to fill in later. I tend to be a very linear thinker and try to write in chronological order. I hope to change that some day, but for now I feel it is working for me. However, it works best when I only have vague ideas of what I want to happen in the middle. For stories I've outlined more thoroughly, well....those are stories I still have yet to write to completion. The other aspect of too many ideas is when I have to choose between two ideas I feel are really great, but will take the story in very different directions. I fret, and I think, and I stop typing and watch something on youtube for a bit. Then I come back and fret, think, and do a Wembley impersonation all over again. Eventually I just need to choose one and go with it. If I don't like where it goes, I can change it later. What I can't do is change an empty page. It is difficult every time, EVERY TIME, but it is worth it. Once I go with the decision, my stress levels drop and the words flow again. For me, I need to get that decision out of the way in less than a day, or I'll just make it worse.

What do you stumble on?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. And now it's apparent why you haven't gone back and edited the previous NaNo wins! But you will this time around. Right?

    Another part of writing that's somewhat problematic (to me), which perhaps YOU don't suffer from, is Ending It. Although that probably goes along with your "having too many ideas" quandry. So have you come up with a strategy to help you make the decision to pick one storyline vs. another? Or is it as unscientifc as a coin-flip?

    Keep up the good work on the blog. I'll bet you can keep it going post-NaNo, too. Well, in between editing your novels and scripts, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I plan on revising my current novel, as I'm not sure where it is going or if I will feel there is more to it. At the end of day 3 it doesn't seem like much yet. Only time will tell.

    The last two, however, I do want to revise. A lot of writers suggest putting a rough draft away for a while anyway. That way you can look at the work with fresh eyes. (though I don't think they meant for a couple years like I've done)

    As for deciding the way to go with a story, it usually comes to a gut feeling. I take a short time away. Like a couple hours, or if it is at the end of the day, I might leave it until work the next day. The one I've thought about is the one I go with. Most times there is a feeling about what is right. Sometimes it is my logical mind that is arguing with my creative mind.

    To be honest, though, that coin flip sounds much less stressful. Maybe I'll try it on this novel. ;)

    ReplyDelete